Bodymetrix Ultrasound Body Composition Analysis now offered at Athletic Lab
Athletic Lab is proud to announce that we have added the Commercial BodyMetrix Ultrasound System and software for analyzing body composition (body fat %). The Bodymetrix system is widely recognized as a more accurate, faster and comfortable alternative to other methods of analyzing body composition. The system was heavily featured in Tim Ferris’s NY Times Best Seller “4 Hour Body” and is capable of producing detailed reports with clinical accuracy on body composition. The system is ready for use and analysis and individual analysis and reports can be purchased for $39.95 and packs of 10 analysis and reports can be purchased for $299.95.
Athletic Lab Olympic Weightliting Open on Jan 28
Athletic Lab is proud to announce our first annual Olympic Weightlifting Open. This is a great opportunity for our lifters from all training groups (Scholastic, CrossFit / Performance Fitness, and Olympic Weightlifting) to participate in the sport of Olympic Weightlifting.
Date: JAN 28
Time: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Location: Cary, NC
When and where is the meet?
The Athletic Lab Open will be at the Athletic Lab on January 28, 2012. The location is 1823 NW Maynard Rd, Cary, NC 27513.
How many competitor slots are available?
There are 30 competitor slots. Registration will close at midnight on January 19 or when we fill all the slots.
Click here to Register
Are spectators allowed?
Yes, spectators are encouraged to attend. There will be no charge for spectators.
What is the format for the meet?
This meet will be a DEVELOPMENTAL Olympic Lifting meet: the two lifts contested are the Snatch and the Clean and Jerk. You can enter this meet and compete as an individual. There will be medals for top three totals in each weight class and trophies for best male and female lifters per Sinclair Total.
Session 1 = Women + 13&Under Youth
Session 2 = Men
- 8a-9a = Session 1 weigh-in
- 10a-12p = Session 1 Lift
- 10a-11p = Session 2 Weigh-in
- 12p-2p = Session 2 Lift
What is a developmental meet?
We are placing an emphasis on ensuring novice weightlifters have a positive experience at their first meet. Specifically:
- Unsure about singlets? Singlets are optional for this event. There are more details about appropriate clothing below.
- Don’t know the rules but you want to lift? We will have a rules meeting at the conclusion of each weigh-in session to go over basic rules and good lift/bad lift scenarios.
- Unsure of how to warmup to make sure you are ready to lift when your name is called? During the rules meeting, we will also go over how to construct an attempt card and time attempts to ensure a proper warmup.
- Don’t have a coach? A weightlifting coach will be in the warmup area if you need help deciding on warmups or attempts or if you have any questions.
- Many novice questions can be answered by the site FAQ.
Is this still an officially sanctioned meet? I need to set a qualifying total.
Yes. It is a sanctioned meet and your official score will be submitted to USAW if you so desire.
Do I have to have a USA Weightlifting membership?
Yes. You can register on the USAW website for a 1 year membership, or you can sign up on the day of the meet.
Do I have to wear a singlet?
All USAW rules will be followed, with the exception of the requirement that you wear a singlet. If you are USAW registered lifter and would like to use the total for your official records, you must wear a singlet. If you are lifting as a CrossFitter you can wear shorts and a t-shirt that allows the judges to see your knees and elbows. No baggie shorts will be allowed.
Do I have to wear weightlifting shoes?
You must wear appropriate footwear i.e. weightlifting shoes.
What are the weight classes?
Please consult our FAQ for information on age and weight classes.
What is the cost?
Adults 21 and over:
- Early registration - Until midnight January 1 - $40
- Regular Registration - Until midnight January 16 - $50
- Late registration - Until January 19 - $60
- Youth (17&under) and Juniors (18-20) – $30.
There will be no refunds. If, after registering, you cannot compete for any reason; you may contact us with the name of the athlete that is replacing you by the end of the registration period.
We look forward to seeing you at the event!
Click here to Register
Please note the following changes and closure dates as we observe the Christmas / Hanukkah holidays. See the scheduling calendar for details but the changes are as follows:
Christmas / Hanukkah Week
- Wednesday, December 21st: CrossFit @ 7am, 5pm and 7pm; Scholastic Training @ 9am and 4pm
- Thursday, December 22nd: CrossFit @ 8am and 6pm; Scholastic Training @ 9am and 5pm; Olympic Weightlifting Club @ 7pm
- Friday, December 23rd: CrossFit @ 8am and 5:30pm; Scholastic Training @ 9am; Strongman Training @ 6:30pm
- Saturday, December 24th - Sunday, December 25th: CLOSED
New Years Week (all CrossFit / Performance Fitness class times return to normal…only Scholastic time slots change)
- Monday, December 26th-Friday, December 30th: Scholastic classes will be offered at 12:30pm and 5pm only. Due to the conclusion of the 8 week Scholastic Select training cycle there will be no Scholastic Select classes this week. They will resume in the New Year with a new training cycle.
- Saturday, December 31st - Normal business hours (Scholastic and CrossFit classes offered at 11am)
- Sunday, January 1st - CLOSED
- Monday, January 2nd: Return to normal hours
Athletic Lab’s Mike Young educates coaches around the country
Over 2 consecutive weekends, Athletic Lab’s Mike Young has educated hundreds of coaches on athletic development and sport science. As one of two lead instructors for the USTFCCCA’s Track & Field Coaches Certification, Young taught the 15 hour course in Los Angeles and San Antonio over the past two weeks. While in San Antonio, Young also instructed a course on the biomechanics of endurance running as well as a sprint seminar entitled “Breaking Barriers to Sprint Performance.” Mike is one of the most highly sought-after speakers in the United States on speed development, sprinting mechanics, and training theory. He has educated thousands of coaches and his services are employed by organizations as far reaching as the North Carolina Justice Academy to US Speed Skating to the Carolina Railhawks.
While other sport performance training centers claim to have the most qualified staff these are nothing but boastful, unsubstantiated claims. Athletic Lab’s coaches are leaders in the field of athletic development and we encourage you to do the comparison.
Tomorrow Night’s Strongman Class Cancelled
No Strongman Training class will be held at Athletic Lab tomorrow (12/7). We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Strongman classes will return to their regularly scheduled time-slot at 6:30pm on Fridays beginning on December 9th.